Monday, July 9, 2012

The Black Sea Coast of Bulgaria


We had a Peace Corps Mid-Service conference near Varna, Bulgaria.  It's my first visit to the coast here and I love water.  I've been swimming in the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean, Lake Michigan and numerous smaller lakes and rivers but this may be the first "sea" I've been too.  As the train got closer and closer I could smell the sea in the air - how invigorating!  

Our conference (yes, Mid-Service means we are about 1/2 way through our two year stay here in Bulgaria - actually a little more than 1/2) provided a time to visit with other PC volunteers from all around Bulgaria, to share ideas and brainstorm challenges. The group of volunteers here are enthusiastic, creative and a really positive group of people.  And the Peace Corps staff is amazing - always helpful and supportive.  They are a group of a few Americans and many Bulgarians who have guided volunteers through the ups and downs of volunteerism specific to Bulgaria over the past 21 years.  It's a privilege to work with such a dedicated and authentic group of individuals.


We stayed at a hotel a little north of Varna in the area called Saints Constantin and Eleana.  There are lots of resorts and associated businesses - restaurants, lots of souvenir stands, tour services, etc.  There was plenty of free time to stroll along the beach and explore the area.  We had one morning free and I decided to go to the Dephinarium - the dolphin show.  It's been a long time since I've seen dolphins and I didn't see them in the Sea.  It also sounds from the website that the owner is very committed to the physical and emotional well-being of these lovely animals.  

On the final day, after breakfast I hopped on a bus to the Varna airport to greet Ryan - my son.  How exciting!  More soon -- but for now, check out the photos I've added (click on Photos June-July in the right hand column).


No comments:

Post a Comment