Monday, April 11, 2011

First Impressions

Tuesday 5 April 11

So many “first” impressions:

This morning I went for my initial walk around the village. Today is our first day off since we met in Philadelphia 9 days ago I went to bed last night at 10:00 and woke up this morning at 9:30. I didn’t know I was so tired, but it sure felt good. The bed I’m sleeping is quite different than what I’m used to.

I walked to the storks nests which I saw when we drove in on Sunday. The storks build huge nests on the very top of a single utility pole. One nest had babies. They are about the size of the Blue Herons in Sedona, but they are black and white. The villagers like them because they are a sign that spring has arrived (they migrate elsewhere during the winter). I’m enamored because I haven’t seen them before.

On my way I passed a few horses “parked” on grassy corners along the simple and sometimes dirt roads. They are on a long “leash” tied to a spike in the ground. It’s spring and the grass is green although not too long yet. And the good news is that it is still cool enough – cold at night – that the fleas continue to be dormant. Everyone talks about the fleas - don’t cut through the grass path – walk on the road; coming in from the outdoors, drop your clothes at the door; all dogs and cats I’ve seen stay outside.

Walking on the streets through the village it’s obvious I’m not a local, nor even Bulgarian. Everyone probably knows I am an American with the Peace Corps – since there are 5 of us in this village of about 900. Some of the families have participated in hosting a volunteer for three months last year, but my “Baba” is new to the program this year. Yesterday we went to a large town and our interpreter said someone asked if we were Italian. It’s spring vacation for students. There was a group of teens in the little market when I walked in to buy bottled water….it got silent for a minute while they whispered to each other. Then they went back to chatting.

It’s a very challenging experience to be in a country where I only speak about a dozen words. My Baba has been trying her best to teach me words, but if I don’t write them down, I don’t remember them. We’ve been communicating with a lot of sign language and I’ve understood things like – the two outlets in the back of my bedroom are dead but the one in the front works. When there are so many things I’d like to ask and say, it’s frustrating to be so limited. Three months, let alone two years, seems like a long time at this point. Alas, tomorrow our classes begin. We will have 4 hours of language a day (5 hours for the first 4 days). Brain….get ready. It will be good to learn within the culture so I can apply it right away. Can’t wait to learn colors, numbers over 10 and more words for foods.

I said Good Morning to everyone I made eye contact with – probably a dozen people. Everyone was friendly. So many small villages live a simple life. Priorities are different than most Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment