Friday, September 30, 2011

A Little Uneven

Bulgaria still maintains a lot of it's "naturalness."  Many gardeners do not use pesticides or chemical fertilizers on their plants.  Much of the work is still done by hand - pulling/hoeing weeds from sidewalks; scything crops; laundry, and so many other things I've mentioned previously.  Part of the naturalness is lots of uneven surfaces - dirt roads, paved roads with many potholes and patches, uneven stairs - different sizes in a single flight; sidewalks made with 12' tiles which over time have settled every which way, different surface levels on patios, entries or buses with no identifying features to warn someone (me).  Since arriving I have stumbled, tripped and almost fallen so many times, it almost seems normal.  It's just as normal to walk looking down at the ground - a lot - one has to - I have to.

Today, however, was the first time I fell.  I was out for a leisurely evening walk around the village and I didn't do anything unusual - I just looked up at an unfortunate moment.  With the next step my ankle twisted and then I was doing a tango move all the way to the ground.  I'm o.k. which is the good news but it is unsettling to feel that body-to-ground contact. I'm taking a homeopathic remedy called Arnica to help ease muscle soreness from the bumps and bruises. If I had a tub, I might take a bath tonight but all I have are buckets - all too small for me. 

As I was heading home, I passed a woman's home who I've met through the other volunteer who was here before me and who is in one of my English classes.  She invited me in to her garden and fed me a small bowl of fresh bean soup.  She also offered me a white substance which she cut into small, small pieces (1/2" x 1/2" x 1/4" thick).  It almost looked like fresh (mature) coconut meat with a little of the skin on it.  I took a bite and it was quite salty.  I asked what it was - veggie?  meat? what?  Note to self - next time don't ask Patricia.  I think the answer was that it's pork belly.  She smiled when she told me.  I think she enjoyed it.  :>)  Fair enough - I smile when I serve someone some weird tofu dish and they make a face.  She too, was most generous and sent me home with purple grapes, green peppers and 3 figs she picked from her garden as she was giving me a tour.  Once again, thank you Bulgaria for your kindness.

Now it's time for rest.  Good Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment