Saturday, September 17, 2011

A Week in the Life of ... Saturday – HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYAN!!

For continuity - please begin with A Week in the Life of.... Monday

Today I wanted to go for my usual, longer weekend morning walk in search of treasure.  Today’s treasure I’m looking for are walnuts and hazelnuts.  This is the first time I’ve picked walnuts and hazelnuts off of trees.  I never realized that walnuts grow inside a big green shell (kind of like coconuts do) or that hazelnuts are like peas in a pod – well not exactly but they have a fringed “cozy” they grow in.  I suppose it would be helpful if I had pictures to illustrate the way they grow for others who also have never seen them. 
 
I headed out of town on one of the main roads towards the community guest house (hizha) near the river.  Lots of trees,  but not many treasures.  A car stopped – it was someone I know – and he said he has lots of walnut trees at his house and he will bring me some on Monday.  Yippee.  Another friend here in the village let me gather some hazelnuts from her tree earlier in the week, but it’s a small tree.  Tomorrow I  will get a nutcracker so I can actually eat some of these fresh nuts.  My round trip walk was about 2 ½ hours.  I came home and had breakfast then took a 1 hour nap.  Ha!

Today, Saturday, is not a weekend day for most Bulgarians.  Next Thursday is “Independence Day” and a national holiday, and the government has said that Friday will be a holiday observance day.  However, today was a work day to make up for the lost work day next Friday.  So everything that is usually closed on Saturday was open today – the post office, the mayor’s office, the doctor’s office, the community center, the school (kids went to school today).  This is the second time this month this occurred and everyone seems to be on the same page about when this happens. Obviously I didn’t go to work today. I went for a walk.   :>)  

Then I made a salad and ate lunch.  Next, I defrosted the little freezer compartment in my little fridge.   I unplugged it, opened the door wide, put all the contents in a small plastic tub together to keep it cold and turned a fan on high to circulate the warm air of the day.  It only took about an hour for the chunk if ice to melt, then I put everything back and plugged it in.  Easy!

While I had a long list of things to accomplish today it seems like I’m done a few.  I’ve also spent about 4 hours writing for this blog.  It’s been a while since I have written so I think it’s worthwhile.  But my eyes are getting tired so I think it’s enough for today.  I have written about 6 out of 7 days of “A Week in the Life Of….”  I probably won't have time to write tomorrow, so I’ll give you a little preview instead.

On Sunday mornings there is a marvelous market here, where one can by fresh garden produce (to supplement all the veggie and fruit gifts I receive), local honey, clothes (some new, some used), household supplies, fishing equipment, second hand electronics (radios, speakers, etc.), and other things.  I'll probably take a quick look during my morning walk.  Then I have class planning and Bulgarian to do before midday when I go to a larger town to get my hair cut.  Not a dramatic change, but about 3 – 4 inches shorter. Tricia goes to someone who works out of her home and we are having back-to-back appointments so I can see where she lives.  Then I’ll take an afternoon bus home and will meet with my tutor in the evening (and I promise to not be grumpy! – see Wednesday). And most importantly – after two days of being very itchy, my flea bites will be mellow on day three and no longer an annoyance (see Thursday). 

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment