Sunday, August 14, 2011

Peace Coprs Mission

Someone asked me what work I'm doing here and what my purpose is. (thanks, Bob). So I thought I would do a brief review.

The mission of the Peace Coprs is to promote world peace and friendship, by:
  • Helping people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.
  • Helping promote better understanding of Americans on the part of peoples served
  • Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans
Just those three things - retty simple at the core level, eh?

#1  I am here in Bulgaria to help 3 villages learn or improve their English skills, computer skills and assist with development of community projects.  I also have the opportunity to expand in other areas including Environmental awareness, anti-smoking health info, HIV/AIDS education and other issues people in these communities are interested in.

#2  As my language skills improve I can share more about myself and my life in America.  In the meantime, some of my behaviors and habits are different in themselves.  Like going walking and hiking, wearing athletic shoes for support, eating foods mixed together which are not usually mixed here.  For instance salads are typically tomatoes, cucumbers and feta with a little oil or lettuce (not common in my village) and green onions with vinegar and oil.  But these items are not usually mixed together. I on the other hand, like to mix whatever I have in a both and call it a salad.

#3  My blog..........sharing my observations and experiences here in Bulgaria mostly with friends and family in America, but it is public so anyone can read it from anywhere (hello to my new friends in Britain).  And my intention is to do so fairly and honestly as best I can from my perspective.

This summer has mostly been about settling into life in Bulgaria - meeting people, getting my home organized, studying Bulgarian, tutoring and preparing to teach English next month and generally building trust and rapport.

Friday night I went to a birthday celebration of another PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer) in Veliko Turnovo.  There were 2 Bulgarian women and about about 10 of us volunteers there, some who arrived with me April 1st and others who have been here a year and are halfway through their service.  It was reassuring because all of the "older" volunteers shared that they were just as "green" as we are with the language and with our work.  Now a year later, they are communicating much better (not everyone - some work with English speaking Bulgarians so their language skills are less developed).  And they have gotten into a rhythm with work - contributing to their communities and/or schools and additional activities with the other topics I mentioned above.

One gal recently attended a perma-culture farming seminar.  Another young man is an assistant at a Scout camp soon and yet another is going to help to "Camp Glow" which was introduced by PCVs (Peace Corps Volunteers) but now is run by Bulgarians.  It helps train and empower young girls for leadership roles in their communities and social circles.  So there is a lot happening here.  In a few weeks my pace will pick up and I'll be taking my relationships with some of the people I have met and some new ones, to a new level once I begin interacting in a more structured environment - like English classes.

I'm both looking forward to my next step and a little nervous about it.  I know it'll come together and I will eventually get the hang of it, but as a newbie teaching English, there is a lot to learn and organize.   :>)

Time will tell what my work is here....as it unfolds.

Ciao





No comments:

Post a Comment