Saturday, July 2, 2011

Saturday Afternoon BBQ

Today I went to a “pig roast” at Camping Veliko Turnovo. What a gorgeous spot they have – a panoramic view of hills and valleys. It’s owned by an English couple – Nick and Nicki and they have been there a number of years. They have a menu in both Bulgarian and English with food from both cultures. Today’s event was a fund-raiser for local distribution. While it was not an exceptionally hot day, the newly constructed pool was enjoyed by many.

I spoke with a number of English folks who live in this area of Bulgaria either full-time or part-time for a variety of reason. Tranquility and lower cost of living are two of the top reasons folks choose Bulgaria. Some even said Bulgaria chose them – sound familiar Sedonans? Some people I met have been very proactive in their villages with helping improve quality of life – teaching English, community clean-up and upgrading the soccer field. And doing such projects with the goal of encouraging participation and ownership of the projects by local residents.

Kindness and caring are contagious. I love hearing the stories of people who find that spark for wanting “more” in life in others and fueling the fire of desire. It’s a beautiful process but usually not an easy one. It’s what I strive to reach for. I think the biggest part is wanting it for myself – and then I can share it with others.

I’ve uploaded a few photos – warning to vegetarians – there may be one you won’t like!

No comments:

Post a Comment