Monday, May 23, 2011

Amending my previous post

22 May 2011

I have now been in Bulgaria for 56 days. Spring is in full bloom here and I have so much to share but I will try to just keep it to the highlights.

First I just re-read my lists of likes and dislikes and already I have to amend them. It occurred to me last night that I have not smelled any fires for several days – maybe even a week – so no icky burning plastic smell. Please know that the people here have reasons for doing what they do like people anywhere else. The town I staying in has regular trash pick-up twice a month. There are small dumpsters on the streets around town, accessible to all. They are utilized – they are always full by the end of the two week period. The town is responsible for paying for the pick-up services so it’s available to everyone who lives in town. Also I think I have mentioned that there is no recycling in place here. They are hopeful to have it one day and are trying to train the public to sort trash into glass, plastic and metal recycling bins (mostly in the larger cities and towns). The idea has migrated to the smaller villages yet.

Learning the language is still challenging and will be probably for most of the time I’m here so I won’t be-labor the idea. I do know more now than I did when I arrived and I can communicate basic needs and desires. Everyday more Bulgarian words stick to my brain cells and some days I’m even feeling cocky about it. Of course the next day is often tough and allows me to become humble once again. In two weeks we have our “final” – an oral discussion with a Bulgarian, in Bulgarian. It covers basics which we have been learning.

Where are you from?

What is your address here?

What is the address of the Peace Corps Office in Sofia?

What is your house like?

What do you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner?

What is your favorite Bulgarian food?

What do you like about Bulgaria?

Role-play getting from point A to point B asking for tickets, fares, times and costs.

It’s easier to speak when practicing these things over and over again, I’m much less confident winging it during a conversation.

Our “graduation” is the swearing-in ceremony which is the second week of June – less than 20 days away. We say good-bye to our host families and community and we move to our site where we will be living for 2 years. I’m grateful to have had this “practice run” with a Bulgarian family so I’m a little more clear on how I want to move forward – for example setting boundaries around drinking beer, wine and Rakia (their favorite homemade vodka-like beverage) and smoking (or not) in my presence (outdoors preferred). It’s better to start at the very beginning with my preferences rather than trying to change them later after compromising more than I’d like to, trying to be a “polite” guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment