Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Bicycle = велосипед



One of the rules we have being Peace Corps volunteers is that we cannot drive any mechanized vehicle - car, motorcycle, atv, tractor, etc.  This is the first time in my adult life I have not driven a car for such an extended period of time.  I'm not sure, but I think the reason for this is that in the past, all over the world, there have been too many car accidents involving PC volunteers.  So Peace Corps pulled the plug on this activity.  My transportation is either by bus, train, friend or kind neighbor.

I haven't missed driving per se as much as I anticipated.  However I have missed the access to exploring the countryside where I live.  Usually I can't wait to visit new surroundings - villages, parks, hiking trails, scenery.    
So when another volunteer, Tricia, completed her service and left Bulgaria, I bought her bike (for half of what she paid for it last year!).  This week I have biked to two near-by villages, each about 6-8 kilometers away from where I live.  I like the extended range of a bike over walking.  I was hoping I might reach villages farther out as well, but I think not.  The bike is a little big for me, so the ergonomics aren't perfect.  I think I'll keep to this shorter-but-longer-than-walking range.

I love the feeling breeze as I ride on warm summer mornings.  I will love it once my body has adapted to riding a bicycle one again.  I'm a little nervous about dogs - chasing moving things.  So far I haven't had a problem and pray this continues.  Another Peace Corps rule is that if we ride a bicycle we must wear a helmet, which I do in the US anyway.  Most people here, who just ride around the village, don't, so I look a little odd. 

I'm thrilled to have a new mode of exploration and exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment