Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Weather Has My Attention

It's been a couple of weeks since I've communicated.  At times I've been very busy and other times restful with the computer turned off.  My weekly schedule is inherently busy working in 3 villages.

It seems like the heat of summer was just a moment ago. But this week the nights have been really chilly - tonight it's supposed to reach freezing.  One night, I finally gave up, and got up in the middle of the night to find my sleeping bag to slip into in bed.  The summer blanket was no longer adequate.  Now I'm toasty warm sleeping in my long underwear, fleece jacket and sleeping bag.  I've added a few items to my "next time I'm in a big town" shopping list.  A portable heater is at the top of the list.  Right now I'm sitting in my kitchen with the oven on and the oven door open.  I also have an A/C - Heat wall unit in my bedroom which seems to put out a decent amount of heat.  It takes a while for things to warm up because I have a lot of tile floors and they are very cold!  Electricity is pretty expensive, so it will be interesting to see what my bill is like for the next 30 days.  Yikes.

Second on my list is a hot water bottle.  Even in Sedona I loved having one warm up my bed on cold nights before I crawled in.  Someone also suggested an electric blanket.  While I'm not a big fan of sleeping under an electrical current all night, I might give it a try for an occasional localized warm-up while sitting at the computer or in a chair reading a book.  And I'm trying to think of a back-up plan for those rare times there is no electricity....it could be really chilly!

Today I got validation for feeling cold - we had a very gust-y hail storm for about 10 minutes.  Little hail balls but they were almost horizontal.  I've uploaded a short video looking outside of my apartment. 

That's it for now.  Think warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment